Skip to main content

Rear Window - Week 4

 This week in class, we watched Rear Window and I thought it was good. I was not sure what to expect because I have never seen it, or really heard much about it. I believe that Rear Window had some really cool aspects to it. My favorite part about Rear Window was probably that it had a mystery thriller storyline to it, so the whole time while viewing the film, I was on the edge of my seat wondering what was going to happen next. I thought it was interesting that Alfred Hitchcock was in his own movie as well, as the wonderful piano player, that had such lovely music. 

I really liked how Hitchcock was able to show us the different perspectives of different people's lives by viewing them through their windows. I thought this concept of the window was so unique because it gives the viewer one person's perspective of the bigger overall picture. Another thing that I loved about the whole window concept was that it created rather interesting shots, and gave a different look to the storyline. The window was what created the main storyline of if Thorwald killed his wife or not, after her she mysteriously disappears. I thought it was interesting how L.B. Jefferies decided to become detective on this case, after seeing Mr. Thorwald with a saw and knifes. I loved how him and Lisa paired up to try to prove that Thorwald killed his wife. 

My favorite scene of Rear Window was when Mr. Thorwald saw Lisa signaling to someone, and he saw Mr. Jefferies spying on him. It made me laugh because he spies on his neighbors throughout the whole film, but this time he actually got caught. With the help of Lisa and Stella, they got Thorwald to confess to the police that he murdered his wife, when the police caught him throwing L.B. out of the window. I thought it was cool how much technology has improved over time, because when watching this scene, it is not as technical as scenes in films are shot now. In the end, I thought it was great that L.B. and Lisa ended up together. I felt that it was great because throughout the entire film, he says they will never get married, or even be together, but that does not stop Lisa. She keeps coming back because I believe she truly loves Mr. Jefferies and wants to be with him. 

 

 I thought this film was really good, and I definitely will recommend it to others. It was a great movie because it had many different unique parts to it, which is what I like to see when watching a new film for the first time.  After watching this great movie, I cannot wait to see what we are watching next in class. 

Comments

  1. I thought the concept of the window made the movie as successful as it was. It was a unique perspective that you never see in any movie regardless of the time period. The camera shots where you see different characters through different windows in the same scene were thrilling. I also did not know that Hitchcock was in the movie himself. When I read about it in your post I was amazed. It is a little easter egg that I really enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think seeing the different perspectives definitely completed the movie! The camera angles, close ups, and shots each had a significant purpose. I have never seen a film that was set only through a window, but it is iconic!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Horrors of Get Out

 This week for class we were to watch the horror film, Get Out. I was nervous about watching it because I do not like scary movies at all. I thought that Get Out was a good movie. When watching Get Out, there was so much suspense throughout the film, that I was on the edge of my seat. It starts out slowly, but as things unfold it builds up, which I liked and thought was interesting. One thing that I liked about this film was the shocking things that you did not expect to happen.  One element of the film that I thought that Peele really did well was the music. He chose songs that really set the mysterious element throughout the course of the film. Something that Peele did with the music that I thought was cool was he used the same song in the beginning of the film and at the end of the film. I think he did this because he wanted to tie the whole movie together, which I thought was great. The music helps shifts in the storyline, which helps add to the overall plot of the movie....

Lost in Translation - Week 7

 This week we were assigned to watch Sofia Coppola's Lost in Translation. I thought it was an interesting movie that had a slow build to it. It was hard for me to get into at first, but as things started to build up with the main characters, I found myself getting more interested in the film. Coppola did an excellent job directing and I think she picked a great cast for this film. One of my favorite parts of the film was that it was shot in Japan, so that was something unique that I have never seen before. I have never seen a film written by Sofia Coppola, so it was interesting to see how her style of film compares to other film directors' styles of film. I think that it was cool to see Bill Murray play such a different role than we saw him play in The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou. The film portrays Murray as this movie star that travels to Japan to do a whiskey commerical. He seems like this lonely guy, just lost because he not only is he all alone but he does not understand...

Working on The Fascination Project

This week in class, we were assigned a new version of The Fascination Project, that I believe will allow us to be more creative. For this Fascination project, we are tasked with making a simple 2-7 minute film that shows different things we have learned in class, but also just how creative we can be as a group. So, in Wednesday's class we brainstormed different genres of movies that we each want to film, and that is how we chose our groups. I chose to be in the Crime/Mystery/Thriller group with Brooke, Anna, and Ola. I was excited because I knew we were going to have fun coming up with a concept for our film, which we did. It was interesting to see all the different genres that others came up with for their project.  During class on Wednesday, after everyone selected their groups, my group met and we were able to start brainstorming some different ideas that would work well for our film. We talked about different locations where we could shoot our film, to give it that feeling of m...