Skip to main content

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou - Week 5

 This week in film class, we watch Wes Anderson's, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou. I thought it was a different start to a film because it started with them in the theatre viewing the first part of their documentary. I thought the movie was not bad, and it was cool to see his style as a director because I have never seen a Wes Anderson film before. I feel like after watching this film, you can get an idea of what type of style he uses in his films. Something that I think is cool that Wes Anderson incorporated into this film was his different uses of "Mise en Scene" techniques throughout every shot in his movie.

One of the ways that "Mise en Scene" was incorporated into this film is through the very limited colors he choose to use. By using these same color patterns throughout each frame in the movie, it helped him tie  together both the plot and the different characters. I liked how Anderson wanted to create a strong plot line with his characters by creating that sense of unity through his color choices. I think that the colors really added to the film and made it more enjoyable for me to watch. In one of my favorite scenes of the film, the view of the jaguar shark because it was a bright yellow and I thought it was cool how you could see it floating through the darkness of the water.



In class before viewing this film, we watched a video with some of Wes Anderson's clips from his movies and one of the themes that I thought of from all of his films was family. I think this film represents family in how it depicts the development of Steve and Ned's relationship throughout the course of the film. It shows how Ned meets Steve and they realize that they are father and son. Then, Steve invites Ned to be part of his crew that is going on this journey to find this jaguar shark. Throughout the journey, it shows that Ned and Steve are starting to become closer despite a few fights. One of the greatest scenes in the movie is when Steve decides that Ned can call him "Papa Steve". When Ned died, it was quite a shock and you could see just how hurt Steve was. 

I thought that this film had a lot of surprise elements, which I thought was great. It was so interesting to see a film that I have never seen before because it allows me to view other types of movie styles. I can't wait to continue exploring different types and styles of films in this class.

Comments

  1. I'm glad you got so much out of it, Grace! I do wish we had better screening quality. Seeing Anderson's films in a big theater with excellent lighting and sound is so vital, but we do what we can do :)

    Frankly, after finishing the film in Wentz with all the rushign around, I felt like Stevsie by the end of our screening! LMK, and I'll send you a red beanie and a Speedo! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Horrors of Get Out

 This week for class we were to watch the horror film, Get Out. I was nervous about watching it because I do not like scary movies at all. I thought that Get Out was a good movie. When watching Get Out, there was so much suspense throughout the film, that I was on the edge of my seat. It starts out slowly, but as things unfold it builds up, which I liked and thought was interesting. One thing that I liked about this film was the shocking things that you did not expect to happen.  One element of the film that I thought that Peele really did well was the music. He chose songs that really set the mysterious element throughout the course of the film. Something that Peele did with the music that I thought was cool was he used the same song in the beginning of the film and at the end of the film. I think he did this because he wanted to tie the whole movie together, which I thought was great. The music helps shifts in the storyline, which helps add to the overall plot of the movie....

Lost in Translation - Week 7

 This week we were assigned to watch Sofia Coppola's Lost in Translation. I thought it was an interesting movie that had a slow build to it. It was hard for me to get into at first, but as things started to build up with the main characters, I found myself getting more interested in the film. Coppola did an excellent job directing and I think she picked a great cast for this film. One of my favorite parts of the film was that it was shot in Japan, so that was something unique that I have never seen before. I have never seen a film written by Sofia Coppola, so it was interesting to see how her style of film compares to other film directors' styles of film. I think that it was cool to see Bill Murray play such a different role than we saw him play in The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou. The film portrays Murray as this movie star that travels to Japan to do a whiskey commerical. He seems like this lonely guy, just lost because he not only is he all alone but he does not understand...

Working on The Fascination Project

This week in class, we were assigned a new version of The Fascination Project, that I believe will allow us to be more creative. For this Fascination project, we are tasked with making a simple 2-7 minute film that shows different things we have learned in class, but also just how creative we can be as a group. So, in Wednesday's class we brainstormed different genres of movies that we each want to film, and that is how we chose our groups. I chose to be in the Crime/Mystery/Thriller group with Brooke, Anna, and Ola. I was excited because I knew we were going to have fun coming up with a concept for our film, which we did. It was interesting to see all the different genres that others came up with for their project.  During class on Wednesday, after everyone selected their groups, my group met and we were able to start brainstorming some different ideas that would work well for our film. We talked about different locations where we could shoot our film, to give it that feeling of m...